Size0: Look at the sales girl on your right. Berabis kan dia pakai make-up.
Me: ya ohh...
So that remarks by Size0 had me curious on why do women wear make-up? Don’t they feel beautiful just the way they are? How did peeps from ancient times have the idea to wear make up?
Initially I hated to wear make-up. I never wear make-up until I was forced to when Sultan made his famous remarks of me looking pale etc so I started playing with make-up. Nowadays, at least lipstick gloss my lips whenever I’m out of the house to the market etc because I’m afraid I might accidentally meet sultan in one of my outings.
I did some browsing and it seems that in ancient Egypt, they use eye make-up called Kohl to ward off evil spirits and improve eye sight. In the Middle East, make-up was used to disguise the real look in order to mislead or cause un-controlled desire. Make-up was considered to have health benefits in South Asia. In China, they stain their fingernails from around 3000 BCE where the colors used represented social class. In Japan, maiko (apprentice geisha) used Ohaguro (black paint) to colour their teeth for the graduation ceremony and become independent. In Europe (during the Middle Ages until the Industrial Revolution), men and women attempted to lighten their skin directly, or use white powder on their skin to look more aristocratic. Native American tribes painted their faces for ceremonial events or battle. Now come to the 20th century, make-up became fashionable in the US and Europe due to the influence of ballet and theatre but the most influential was the development of the movie industry in Hollywood.
So after reading all the above in wiki, I can deduce that women wear make-up to ward-off evil spirits, to curb uncontrolled desire, to show status (the expensive your cosmetic set then the richer you seems to be or something like that) and the best excuse is that because we’re in a battle like the Native American… hahaha…
Anyways from this article, we know that in modern times like now: it seems that women who wore make-up exude this x thingy which conveys loads about the wearer. It’s like make-up is magic where it changes you into a confident woman because you know you look presentable and your flaws are all concealed behind all those make-up but if you wear heavy make-up then it conveys a different thing all-together… this is so tough… I think I should do more studies on this said questions…
Me: ya ohh...
So that remarks by Size0 had me curious on why do women wear make-up? Don’t they feel beautiful just the way they are? How did peeps from ancient times have the idea to wear make up?
Initially I hated to wear make-up. I never wear make-up until I was forced to when Sultan made his famous remarks of me looking pale etc so I started playing with make-up. Nowadays, at least lipstick gloss my lips whenever I’m out of the house to the market etc because I’m afraid I might accidentally meet sultan in one of my outings.
I did some browsing and it seems that in ancient Egypt, they use eye make-up called Kohl to ward off evil spirits and improve eye sight. In the Middle East, make-up was used to disguise the real look in order to mislead or cause un-controlled desire. Make-up was considered to have health benefits in South Asia. In China, they stain their fingernails from around 3000 BCE where the colors used represented social class. In Japan, maiko (apprentice geisha) used Ohaguro (black paint) to colour their teeth for the graduation ceremony and become independent. In Europe (during the Middle Ages until the Industrial Revolution), men and women attempted to lighten their skin directly, or use white powder on their skin to look more aristocratic. Native American tribes painted their faces for ceremonial events or battle. Now come to the 20th century, make-up became fashionable in the US and Europe due to the influence of ballet and theatre but the most influential was the development of the movie industry in Hollywood.
So after reading all the above in wiki, I can deduce that women wear make-up to ward-off evil spirits, to curb uncontrolled desire, to show status (the expensive your cosmetic set then the richer you seems to be or something like that) and the best excuse is that because we’re in a battle like the Native American… hahaha…
Anyways from this article, we know that in modern times like now: it seems that women who wore make-up exude this x thingy which conveys loads about the wearer. It’s like make-up is magic where it changes you into a confident woman because you know you look presentable and your flaws are all concealed behind all those make-up but if you wear heavy make-up then it conveys a different thing all-together… this is so tough… I think I should do more studies on this said questions…
Comments